Deadlines approaching for Outstanding Dietetics Educator Award nominations and student scholarship applications
The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics is now accepting nominations for the 2015 Outstanding Dietetics Educator Award. This prestigious honor recognizes the teaching, mentoring and leadership activities of faculty in an accredited dietetics education program. The award will be presented at the Nutrition and Dietetic Educators and Preceptors (NDEP) area meeting for educators next spring.
To nominate a teacher or peer, please email or mail a letter of reference that gives specific information about the nominee's teaching and mentoring role to Stephanie Johnston, the NMAND Nominating Committee Chair, by December 29, 2014:
NMAND Nominating Chair
5617 Wheelwright NW
Albuquerque, NM 87120
Preceptors are not eligible for this award as there is a separate award given to Outstanding Preceptors. For more information, please visit: www.eatright.org/preceptors
Students may now apply for 2015 scholarships from NMAND. Go to the "Student Section" tab for information and the application. Complete applications must be postmarked by February 20, 2015.
How to Subscribe
- Enter eatrightnm in the Yahoo Groups search box, or go directly to our group at: https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/eatrightnm/info.
- At the bottom of the About Group, select Subscribe. This sends an email request to the Moderator of our group. New Yahoo users will need to create a new account by selecting the [+Join Group] box.
If you’re having problems with your settings, including receiving emails, begin by selecting Manage My Groups (left-hand column of the eatrightnm or NMANDBoard home page). Most subscribers will want Individual Emails selected.
Other email issues are addressed in Help (lefthand column.) For example:
- Not receiving emails from Yahoo Groups: Help>Help for Groups>Sending and Receiving Messages (top scroll bar). Troubleshooting for issues like posting messages and “bouncing” accounts are addressed here.
- Moderators can’t change email addresses for other members. “For your privacy, only you can update your own email address in Yahoo Groups. If you don't have access to the email address used to subscribe to the group, you can ask your group's moderator to remove your email address from the group, then send an invitation to your new email address.” (Yahoo Groups Help)
If you’re still having difficulties, please send an email to Marta Gentry Munger, Membership Coordinator, at email@example.com so you can work through the problem together.
To Our Fellow Academy Members:
We have exciting news to share! To celebrate the contributions of food and nutrition professionals in helping children eat well, and to encourage all Academy members to help ensure the next generation of Americans is the healthiest ever, the Academy and the Foundation announce the first-ever Kids Eat Right Month.
For the entire month of August, we are spotlighting healthy nutrition and active lifestyles for children and families, as well as the role Academy members play as the food and nutrition experts when it comes to eating right.
Kids Eat Right Month is devoted to nutrition education and action. Find out how you can get involved by visiting KidsEatRight.org, where you can also sign up to become a Kids Eat Right campaign member. As a campaign member, you can access free resources and toolkits, as well as grant opportunities to support your work.
Please encourage your community to celebrate Kids Eat Right Month as well. Solving childhood obesity and improving the nutritional health of children requires all of us working together. That's why we're calling on all stakeholders – parents and kids, schools, community leaders, faith groups, public policy leaders and organizations – to visit www.KidsEatRight.org where they will find action items and opportunities to collaborate with registered dietitian nutritionists like you in local communities across the country. Together, our local outreach can result in a big impact nationwide and turn the tide in improving children's health.
Throughout August, share photos and stories of your Kids Eat Right Month activities for a chance to be highlighted in the Academy's social media accounts and in Eat Right Weekly.
Join the thousands of Academy members who have already signed up as Kids Eat Right campaign members and help make the first Kids Eat Right Month one to remember!
Sonja L. Connor, MS, RDN, LD, FAND
Terri J. Raymond, MA, RDN, CD, FAND
Academy Foundation Chair
Improving Quality of Care and Saving the Nation $459 Million per year
During the past four years of the Academy has been working with the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) to pave the way for RDNs employed in hospitals to write diet orders for patients without requiring the supervision or approval of a physician or another practitioner. CMS expects this rule to improve the efficiency and efficacy of nutrition care and save up to $459 million in annual hospital costs.
The Academy supports this new rule which will provide patients with better health care and help hospitals function more efficiently.
What the rule does:
Among other things, the rule will allow registered dietitian nutritionists (RDNs) to become privileged to independently:
- Order patient diets without requiring the supervision or approval of a physician or other practitioner; and
- Order laboratory tests to monitor the effectiveness of dietary plans and orders. Please note that ordering privileges for laboratory tests are determined by hospitals and their medical staffs in accordance with state law as well as any other requirements and/or incentives that CMS or other insurers might have.
In the near future the Academy will provide members with:
- Suggestions for how to discuss this issue with employers and medical staff.
- Detailed processes and strategies for obtaining privileges.
- Model policies and procedures for privileging RDNs in the hospital setting.
- Analysis of the impact of state licensure laws and regulations on implementation.
Read the final rule by clicking: here.